How Workers’ Comp Lawyers Get Paid
You’re already dealing with health problems from a workplace injury. You can’t work, so you’ve lost your income. You’re worried about money.
It’s understandable for you to wonder whether you can afford a lawyer to help you with your workers’ compensation claim.
Here’s what you should know about the law firm of Mitchell & Associates:
- We only charge an attorney’s fee when you are successfully receiving benefits.
- And we’ll conduct an initial assessment of your situation for free, helping us determine whether to move forward.
In Louisiana, state law puts a limit on how much attorneys can charge to help people secure and maintain their workers’ comp benefits.
The attorney’s fee is 20% of the indemnity benefits you receive. Indemnity benefits are weekly payments to replace some of your lost wages after an injury on the job forced you out of work.
We don’t charge anything for you to ask us more questions.
Why Do You Need A Lawyer?
You can run into all kinds of problems getting all the benefits you deserve:
- Checks for lost wages that don’t come on time
- Bills for medical care you shouldn’t have to pay
- Your employer trying to make you see a company doctor
- The workers’ comp insurance company cutting off your benefits early
- Vocational caseworkers trying to rush you back to work
If you have a lawyer keeping watch over your claim, they’ll worry about fighting the system while you focus on your health.
An experienced lawyer can do a lot to maximize your benefits:
- Make sure insurance pays for your doctor of choice
- Check that health care providers properly document your case
- Make sure your employer submits all the right forms
- Make sure you meet all the required deadlines
- Make sure your insurance sends payments for lost wages in a timely fashion
- Deal with claims adjusters
- Deal with human resources and safety officials from your job
- Deal with hospitals and nurse case managers
- Deal with vocational rehabilitation caseworkers.
- File a “Disputed Claim for Compensation,” which is like a lawsuit, if your benefits get denied
Believe it or not, 90% of people who get hurt at work don’t get legal advice. They might end up living with their injuries or paying for medical care themselves.
You worked hard, and you deserve better than that.
Workers’ Comp Is a Separate Kind of Law
Workers’ comp has its own legal system. It’s different from the regular courts. It has its own courts and administrative law judges. The rules change in every state.
When you have a lawyer who knows this system and how to make a successful claim for you, it can make a big difference.
Experienced workers’ comp lawyers understand the laws that created this process – like the Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Act. They can be confusing.
A workers’ comp lawyer also knows how to work with the state offices that oversee the system – like the Louisiana Office of Workers’ Compensation. That can be difficult.
When you’ve been hurt on the job and your health and ability to make a living are on the line, you shouldn’t have to figure out all of this on your own.
An experienced lawyer knows how the workers’ comp system works, so they can guide you through it. Tell us about your case.